rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Mawwiage

Mawwiage. 
That dream within a dream.
Okay, enough with the Princess Bride quotes. I knew this post was going to be about our marriage and so that was just the first thing that started running through my mind...
David and I have been married for nearly 2 years now - 2 years on August 9th! I remember when we were arriving in Chicago in the summer of 2013 - engaged and so ready to be married in about 2 months - a friend picked us up at the airport and as we chatted, she mentioned that she and her husband had been married for two years. I thought that sounded SO LONG. To me it seemed like she was making it sound as if they were newlyweds, but obviously they were basically a seasoned couple, right?? Well, let me just tell ya - at ALMOST two years of marriage, it DOES seem like we are still newlyweds. And I don't meant that because we are still living life in a honeymoon haze - reality has definitely set in, probably along the same time as when it came time to birth my daughter last summer. I just mean that I still remember with such clarity our wedding day and our honeymoon and moving to our first home together. In one sense, it really does seem like it was just a month ago that we got married.
In another sense, though...
It seems as if we have been married for 40 years. And again, just to clarify - I don't mean that it feels like 40 years because I am so sick of my husband. On the contrary, I am just as dependent on him as ever - we just have SO MUCH HISTORY together in our mere 2 years of marriage.
In two years, we have somehow managed to get married, go on a honeymoon to Kauai, move to Chicago, get pregnant, have a baby, move to a new apartment, graduate from college, move to Hawaii, have our very first house, and start a new job. Not to mention the 598 things that happened in between (like me learning how to play Settlers of Catan or David changing his very first diaper). It's no wonder that it feels like we've been married so long. We've had a very full life together thus far! So much so that it feels like we've spent a lifetime together.
(I can just hear the people who have been married for 5+ years chuckling at me and muttering "that little newlywed...")
All that said. There is a thing or two that I have learned through being married to my hunk. Here are a few of my top "Husband Observations:"
- Not all men leave the toilet seat up! Crazy, right?? I had mentally prepared myself to accept that I would have to beg my husband to remember to put the toilet seat down, but lo and behold, he did it without being asked! His mama done raise him right!
- David could kiss me ALL DAY if I let him... and sometimes, I need to let him :) 
- David is a creature of habit. If he could, he would eat cereal for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and burgers for dinner every. single. day.
- My hubby is unbelievably strong. Seriously, WHO else could watch a baby make its way into the world and not go running in the opposite direction?? I would much rather birth a child than be the one having to helplessly watch it happen.
- David is painstakingly patient. He goes above and beyond what is necessary to keep calm and let it go, whatever "it" is. He has put up with period-related emotional roller coaster rides, pregnancy-related emotional roller coaster rides, post-pardum-related emotional roller coaster rides, motherhood-related emotional roller coaster rides, and plain old woman-related emotional roller coaster rides. This guy is in it for the long run!
- David's clothes drawers will ALWAYS be unfolded and unorganized.
- He will win ALL tickle fights and water fights... unless he lets me win.
- No matter how much I may think I am self-reliant or independent, when it all comes down to it, my husband is my ROCK. I don't know what I would do without him. There could be a tornado heading our way and if David was with me, I would be calm. 

There are about 5,978,223 more things that I've learned throughout the past 2 years, but those are the few that come to mind at the moment that are worth sharing ;)
How long have you been married? And what are some things that you've learned about your husband in the years you've been together?

Thanks for stopping by!
Randie Megan



No comments:

Post a Comment