rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Comparison: Ergobaby Carrier vs. Sakura Bloom Ring Sling

It's been some time since writing my last comparison entry on baby carriers. Since then, my daughter has grown quite a bit what with turning 1 and all, and as a result I have found myself reaching for different carriers than I used to! Like I said before in my comparison between a Bibetts and Sakura Bloom ring sling, I don't have nearly the elaborate stash that you'll find many mamas have, but I do have a Bibetts ring sling, a Sakura Bloom ring sling, an Ergobaby carrier, and a Mei Tai.
Before I get to which carrier is my absolute favorite, let me make a short list of my favorite things about each, starting with the Sakura Bloom.

Ryenne (~6 months here) & I at the Farmer's Market
"Kangaroo Carry"

Sakura Bloom Ring Sling (Classic) in Acadia
$98.00
  • completely adjustable
  • lightweight and non-bulky - easy to keep in the diaper bag
  • linen
  • machine washable
  • the Classic version is a single layer of linen which allows for a front carry, kangaroo carry (front forward facing), and hip carry
We like to use it for:
  • shorter walks
  • "emergency" situations (aka my child only wants to be held and my arms are about to fall off)
  • since it is so lightweight and non-bulky, we keep it in the diaper bag at all times so that we always have a carrier on hand


Ryenne (~6 months) & David
"Front Carry"
Original Ergobaby Carrier in Aussie Khaki
  • more of a "backpack style" carrier
  • includes a hood
  • 2 pockets
  • ergonomic (meaning that it keeps the baby's legs spread apart in a natural "froggy" fashion rather than holding up the baby by the crotch - a known cause of hip dysplasia in babies)
  • cotton
  • all straps are adjustable (even the hood)
  • 3 carry positions - back, hip, and front
  • machine washable

We like to use it for:

  • hiking
  • shopping trips
  • going on walks
  • putting her to sleep - it's the only carrier she will sleep in (and she falls asleep FAST)
  • anything and everything

Based on that last point, you are probably already guessing which carrier is my favorite. The Ergobaby. As much as I do LOVE that I am able to stow away the ring sling so easily (and, let's be honest, it's so pretttttyyyy), the Ergobaby is much more comfortable on a long-term basis now that my daughter is bigger and heavier and longer. Maybe if I wore the ring sling enough I would develop better back and shoulder muscles in the right places, but the thing I love about the Ergo is that my daughter is basically one with me! It's like being pregnant again... sort of. Her weight is evenly dispersed between my shoulders and my hips - with NO strain whatsoever to my back. Even my mom, who has back issues (sciatica and an inflamed disc), was perfectly comfortable carrying my daughter in the Ergo.
Bonus: my husband prefers the Ergo as he feels it is more "masculine" than the ring sling - although he has worn the ring sling before too ;) (Real men do it).
And if you have read my comparison between Bibetts and Sakura Bloom, you'll note that I had mentioned that my daughter did not like the Ergo. Well, one day she just decided that it didn't bother her anymore, and now she loves it. I think it had something to do with her finally being able to peer over the back of the carrier instead of being tucked away deep inside. That being said, I do think that if we ever had another baby that the ring sling would once again be my go-to as baby would be much less heavy as a newborn, and you really can't beat the convenience and ease of toting around a light piece of fabric that magically transforms into a baby carrier.
So, I guess the real answer is that BOTH are my favorites - but at different stages of my baby's life! I loved the Sakura Bloom for her infancy, but the Ergo is unbeatable for carrying a toddler. Currently my (and my husband's) favorite baby carrier is the Ergo. It comes along with us pretty much everywhere despite the awkward shape and bulkiness. The comfort of the fit when it's on totally outweighs the hassle of lugging it around.
Which carrier do you prefer? Do you have an Ergobaby or a Sakura Bloom?
Thanks for reading!!
Randie Megan
And an extra picture just for kicks:
Ryenne Ashley knocked out on Daddy's
back during a family walk one day haha

1 comment:

  1. Before I get to which carrier is my absolute favorite, let me make a short list of my favorite things about each, starting with the Sakura Bloom. buy jewelry wedding ring

    ReplyDelete