rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Comparison: Bibetts vs. Sakura Bloom Ring Slings



Do you baby wear? Chances are if you are reading this, you do - or at least are interested in it! Baby wearing was a pretty foreign concept/term to me pre-baby, but as a new mama I have fallen in love. Like all self-proclaimed babywearers, I do have a few different carriers (ring slings, an Ergo, and a Mei Tai), but I definitely have my favorites. And that would be: the Ring Sling.
Like I said before, just a few months ago I had absolutely no idea what ring slings were. I had, in fact, seen a few mothers wearing their babies in ring slings, and just assumed that was another hippie mother thing to do. For some reason it reminded me of wearing a turban. Don't ask me why, but those are the images that came to mind when I would see women walking around with their babies all wrapped up in these long pieces of fabric.
I began searching for alternate ways of carrying my daughter, Ryenne, when I realized that as a newborn she was constantly wanting to nurse, which meant that I was constantly sitting down holding her and watching my house decay and the dust build up and the dishes pile high. It was pretty miserable. I started to wonder if maybe I could wear her and learn to nurse like that. I grabbed my Ergo carrier and tried to give it a shot. Well, as much as I love the Ergo and think that it is probably the most comfortable way to carry a baby, my daughter would have absolutely none of it. She would stiffen and scream and wail in that thing. Plus, it was pretty hard to nurse in. Maybe it's because I don't have the most voluptuous boobs, but whatever the reason, nursing in the Ergo was almost equivalent to trying to nurse an angry cat.
I started researching baby carriers, and that's when my eyes were opened to the world of ring slings. Suddenly turbans weren't popping into mind, but instead I was envisioning the freedom I could potentially have to simultaneously nurse, clean, cook, and cuddle!
Well, something else that I stumbled upon while doing all my research was the sobering reality of just how expensive most ring slings are. There was no way that my husband and I could afford to buy a sling for upwards of $100. With that information acquired, I began looking at my options for more budget-friendly ring slings.
That's when I discovered Bibetts.
Bibetts sells handmade, pure linen ring slings for about $40 + shipping. They had wonderful reviews, so I was thrilled that my ring sling dream might become a reality!
Here's where my comparison/review comes in:
I'm sad to say that Bibetts has terrible customer service. I did not receive my sling for two weeks +, and when I tried to email the shop owner about it, she did not reply for days. The sling sat in Texas (where the shop is located) for most of that time, until the shop owner got back to me saying she had lost an entire order of slings (mine included) and that she was now sending out a new one.
But! That aside, my first ring sling was life changing for me! It took a little while for me to get used to it and fall in love (especially with the shipping delays), but eventually I was hooked! I love that I can throw a sling in the diaper bag and that I can carry my daughter in so many different carrys - she can face in, face out, sit on my hip, or even recline in a nursing position.
Bibetts was a GREAT way for me to be introduced to the wonderful world of ring slings. Here are some pros and cons that I have found with my Bibetts pure linen ring sling.

pc: Bibetts Etsy shop - Listed at $39

Pros:

  • Purchasing a sling from here was extremely budget-friendly. $40 for a ring sling - you can't beat that!
  • The linen is sturdy but also lightweight, making it breathable and comfortable to wear even on hot days.
  • After several washes, it has become "worn in," which means that it is floppy and comfortable and basically you feel as if you aren't wearing anything!
Cons:

  • Bibetts has (had, perhaps? To give them the benefit of the doubt) terrible customer service.
  • In my experience, it takes a long time to ship your sling, and consequently that really caused me to lose a lot of my enthusiasm for this "deal" overall.
  • I've noticed a little fraying along the hem of my sling. Not sure if this is a problem yet, but it could potentially be in the future.

Now that we've covered Bibetts, I'll switch gears to my Sakura Bloom experience!
I have been following Sakura Bloom's Instagram account (username: lovesakurabloom) for a few months now, and I have always, always been drooling over their gorgeous slings. They make their slings out of the most beautiful colors.
The reason I didn't run out the door and buy a Sakura Bloom right away though, is because they are actually pretty pricey! Their "cheapest" slings go for $98 plus tax and shipping. Not cheap!! They also make slings out of silk which I can't even fathom being able to purchase...
Anyway, for Christmas my in-laws gifted my husband and me a good chunk of Christmas money and insisted on spending it on something for ourselves (aka not on groceries or bills haha). It took me a couple of weeks to figure out just what I wanted, but once I realized that I finally had the opportunity to buy one of these beauties, I was sold!
On top of that, because I was following Sakura Bloom on Instagram, I was aware of a fluke sale that they had for one day only! They were offering 20% off of ALL their slings - and just so you know, this was the only discount day that Sakura Bloom has ever had! I am so glad I stumbled upon that happy discovery. I hopped online and was able to finally purchase one of their beautiful classic linen slings at 20% off :) That still meant that I got it for under a hundred bucks!
I have had a few weeks now to try out my Sakura Bloom, and let me just say: it is definitely my favorite. Here is my list of pros and cons for my Sakura Bloom ring sling.

pc: Sakura Bloom's website - Listed at $98
Sakura Bloom "Acadia"
Pros:

  • This sling is durable. I never have to worry about my daughter not feeling secure enough in it, which is something that I sometimes worry about with my Bibetts sling just because the fabric is so thin and flimsy.
  • My Sakura Bloom is both wider and longer than my Bibetts ring sling. Wider means that my daughter has even more fabric to be "pocketed" into, and longer means that I have a longer tail with which to cover myself when nursing, or shade baby on a sunny day.
  • The color. It's just beautiful. The pictures don't do it justice.
  • I feel that because the linen is sturdier and thicker than the Bibetts sling, that it is easier to maneuver when adjusting. I don't have to worry about pulling some seams or something like I might in my Bibetts sling.
  • I prefer the way that the Sakura Bloom's rings are sewn in place over Bibetts. I have included a couple comparison shots at the end of this post so you can get a better idea of what I mean.
  • Shipping was FAST! I received my sling within a WEEK. Talk about instant gratification...
Cons:
  • Let's face it. Sakura Bloom slings are not cheap. As if they aren't priced high enough, they also tack on shipping and that adds another several dollars.
  • Because the fabric is thicker and more durable, that also means that it is a little hotter to wear than I've experienced with my Bibetts sling.
  • Again, thicker fabric = bulkier material, which results in it taking up a little more room in the diaper bag.
Despite the very few cons that I have listed for the Sakura, I honestly do not think those are big issues at all when you realize how great of a product you have. There is a world of difference between the feel of both slings. Overall, the Bibetts sling is cheaper, lighter, and to some degree comfier, but the Sakura Bloom is more durable, more quality, easier, longer, wider, bigger, better, and basically just beautifuler.
That said, if you are looking to invest in a really good quality sling, I highly recommend going with Sakura Bloom. But if you are just wanting a good introduction to the world of slings, then by all means try it out by getting a Bibetts :)


Close up of my Bibetts ring sling's rings and the way they are
sewn in. As you can see, there is a little bit of frabic, and just
overall wear beginning to show.

Close up of my Sakura Bloom's rings and sewing detail.
Yeah... 'nough said.
Thanks for stopping by and reading today! What are your favorite baby carriers? Do you have a Sakura Bloom or Bibetts sling?

//EDIT 08.13.15//
Check out my ErgoBaby Carrier vs. Sakura Bloom Ring Sling comparison post to see which carrier I prefer to use with my now older baby!

2 comments:

  1. You should really try a SweetPea Ring Sling! They are my favorite!
    There is a huge difference in the linen used by bibetts and Sakura too...that's where the cost difference comes in. Quality fabric does cost more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said before, just a few months ago I had absolutely no idea what ring slings were. I had, in fact, seen a few mothers wearing their babies in ring slings, best deal wedding ring

    ReplyDelete