rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Review: Classic Skwish by the Manhattan Toy Company

The Manhattan Toy Company "Skwish"
Classic Rattle & Teether Grasping Activity Toy

Today I am doing a review on a "new" toy that Ryenne Ashley has acquired thanks to some dear friends of ours here in the city! The other day we visited a family that I used to babysit for, and while we were there they gave us some hand-me-down toys. As a matter of fact, all of Ryenne's toys are hand-me-downs from this family!
When I first saw this "contraption," I was definitely intrigued as it is unlike any toy that I've ever seen for babies! The colorful pieces are wooden, and the black are stretchy elastic, so it is actually bendable/movable. The thing that is so great about this toy for my 4.5 month old, is that her little fingers can grasp it so easily and bring it up to her mouth to gnaw at (she has been all about biting, grabbing, feeling, and touching lately! And she is so fascinated with this little gadget!

I'm a little particular when it comes to baby-related items as I'm not a fan of brightly colored, overly-stimulating, lights-flashing, music-playing play things. I don't have anything against people who do enjoy those types of toys in their homes, but personally I like toys that encourage children to use their imaginations a bit more. Sometimes toys nowadays tend to do all the "imagining" for the kids. This one is perfect for curious little babies. The fact that it stretches and bends makes it exceptionally interesting, and there are wooden "beads" that slide back and forth along the wooden pegs making a gentle sliding sound.

The mother of this family actually mentioned that this toy was around when she was a baby! She said that initially she was a little worried about the beads coming loose and becoming a potential choking hazard, but after growing up with it and then having one with her own two children, she saw firsthand that that was never a problem. The fact that this toy has been around for about 40 years tells me that there's something special about it!


Well, to wrap up, I found this unique rattle/teether on Amazon for just $12! It's originally from the Manhattan Toy Company, and I read on their website that it is actually the winner of the 2014 Family Choice Award (apparently it's quite popular and I'm still just very new to this baby world!)! 
I know that the next time I attend a baby shower, I am including this as part of the gift! It's already a family favorite in our home.
What are your favorite baby teethers/rattles? Please share!




No comments:

Post a Comment